Sunday, February 28, 2010

Lost in Transition

"Beware of the young doctor and the old barber..."
- Benjamin Franklin -

I made it to Busan a few days ago, but I haven't had internet since leaving the University. I've gone to a few PC Bangs (Korean internet cafe's), but they all have been packed with Koreans and (go figure). I'm not here to surf the interwebs, I reminded myself, and have been running around Busan like a madman.

I haven't settled in my apartment, yet, because I was given a fairly involved to-do list to accomplish before school starts on Tuesday. So far I've learned how to use the Bus system (pretty easy), go grocery shopping (simple), use the washing machine (the horror), and I've scouted several Pizza Huts down the street (not on my to-do list, but still vital).

OK, no picture of my apartment yet but one word to describe it: tragic. Yes. It's small. Microscopic. It's the size of my bedroom in my old Tampa apartment. It has a bathroom, a washing machine room, and one large room that serves as my bedroom/kitchen/study, and I can smell when my Korean neighbors cook Bibimbap. I can also here cats screaming when I use the bathroom. And, no, there's no correlation with the two.

I do have a pretty cool neighbor, Jacob, who showed me the nightlife in Busan on my second night here. Jacob, his Korean friend, and myself enjoyed some of the spiciest, sweetest, and heartburn inducing rice cakes I've had the pleasure of devouring. I also dig the maekju, fried chicken, and big city atmosphere. But, I'm not digging the wind here. The cold drafts here sort of feels like you're getting stabbed. I don't know how else to describe it. I've never been stabbed, just for the record.

I'm going to go heat up some noodles now, so this post will have to be short. Internet is coming my way this Tuesday, so I'll update a little better. I hope everyone's well.

Top Picture: Me and the Australians.



Left: Elliott, Amanda, Mike, Me. Last night at Jeonju University.





Left: Me, Ahmee, and Joe. Lighting is terrible.








Left: Amanda, Elliott, and Alex. Pre-Soju, perhaps. Can't really see if Amanda's eyes are glossed over, yet because 1. bad lighting, and 2. she's Asian.








Left: Me, Chul, and The Canadian. Chul is in what they call the Post Soju stage. Notice how his tongue is dangerously close to my face.









Left: Jonathan, Me, and Elliott. This is after Jonathan sang South Africa's anthem.


I'll post a lot more, soon. Batteries dying.



No comments: