Sunday, February 7, 2010

How Do I Get To Busan From Here?


"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
James Michener


Several months ago I entertained the idea of leaving everything behind and starting someplace new. Several months later, I landed a job to teach English to high school kids in South Korea. The process of landing said job wasn't as hard as I had thought. All I really needed was a University Degree, a clean background record, and the balls to do it.

I am literally nine days from packing up all my clothes and jetting into a foreign country. I really have no idea how to prepare to live in Korea. I've bought several books to help me figure out basic sentences in Korean, but the only phrases I've really memorized are "Hello", "How Much", and various curse words. This will come in handy should I encounter a prostitute. Mother will be proud.

This blog will serve the purpose of documenting my travels not just in Korea, but anywhere else that I find myself in. If you are a friend or family of mine, this will serve as a primary source of communication. I'll attempt to post pictures, videos, and various media so you can stalk me freely. Please excuse me if I don't update this blog on a regular basis, since I have no idea what my schedule will be like over there. Also, don't assume something has happened to me (...Mom). However, if I disappear for weeks without updating this and all of a sudden post pictures with my face clearly photoshopped on someone else's body, please assume I have been kidnapped by the North and sold on the black market.

I guess that's it. I'll update again once I arrive in Korea next week.

As they say in Korea: 안녕히계세요.

I'm pretty sure that means good-bye. Or how much for a lap dance. I could never tell.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm sure your move to busan will be filled with lots interesting experiences! and oh.. the korean food. yum.

Dean Sanchez said...

Hey Pao! It's me Dean from FHZ. I just want you to know that I'm kinda, sorta' jelous' in a way...but then again I had my share of travelling and working overseas in my younger years too.... but never in Korea! it's the place where "kimchi" and "Bulgogi" was born! I think it's a pretty cool decision to be working at one of the largest metropolitan city in the world. Lots of history and rich culture. Democracy reigns in the south, so you should be ok.'Wishing you the best of luck and always remember to find time for fun activities to do. God Bless! :-)

Anonymous said...

hey buddy be safe and wear a condom

Anonymous said...

Yes, I'm making the big move soon, too. Are you nervous yet? I haven't gotten nervous until just 25 minutes ago. I think we have different orientations, so we probably won't bump into each other. Either way, good luck and have fun!!

SherBear said...

Hey my Asian love! It's Sherry. Before you leave, I'd better see you or I will trail you all the way to South Korea, pose as one of your students, and rape you after class is over. I miss you! I'm so excited for you and highly jealous because you're doing what I've dreamed of doing. Maybe one day....There's always hope! See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Good on you for taking on this brave new adventure.

Cant wait to read all your interesting stories:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Pao its Tyler!!!!! Best of luck and keep God close!! Dont get ino too much trouble!! I cant believe youre going to be a teacher. I hope you teach them the value of procrastination man! LOL If I ever get to that part of the world i will let you know. Keep in touch and God speed! oh by the way don't eat octopus! remember when you ate kalamari?! LOL