"Words have no wings, but they can fly a thousand miles."
- Korean Proverb -
Day 7: Everything I've learned about the land of the morning sun seems to have been but the tip of the ice berg (thanks, Wikipedia). South Korea isn't just about kimchi, or The Wonder Girls, or even taekwondo. It's about the warmth of the Korean people, the history of her rulers, and amazing innovative technology. Oh, and also incredibly cheap junk food. I could literally go into a sugar coma with the amount of junk food I bought for under ten dollars. I bought a box of cookies that had more calories than a box of a dozen donuts from Krispie Cream. Who wants diabetes for dessert?
I'm having a lot of fun in Korea, however, we've had a fairly grueling orientation week on top of the jet lag that's still lingering for 80% of us. We are in classes for teacher-training, Korean language lessons, and brief lectures about the Korean culture. A "How-To-Survive-Korea" crash course, if you will. We're in class from 9 AM to 8 PM. But, even then sleep doesn't grace us until 1 AM. Jeonju University, the place where we're staying, is a decent post-undergrad place to be. There's plenty of little karaoke bars, or plain bars to hang out at. Or, should you fancy a movie you can gander into the Jeonju theater near the dorms. This place is very alive and very safe, so it's as comfortable as it could be.
We went on a fieldtrip this past Sunday, but I forgot my camera. My South African friend let me borrow some of the pictures he took. The first picture up there is from the seafood market that we visited. The smell of the market was alarming. Like a mixture of seafood and butt.
The view here is the actual view from my dorm room. It snowed the night before so it looks
Picture on the left is the dorm room. My roommate has some walking pneumonia thing going on, so I'm trying to avoid him. I tend to accept all sorts of viruses, so even if I catch his cold it'll turn into the black plague by Friday. Not good, says this guy.
And, one final picture from some place down the street. It could be an open market, it could be the red light district. It's open for interpretation. Only because I wasn't listening to the tour guide.
PS. I do read the comments and thanks to anyone that leaves me comments. I do appreciate hearing feedback about how you guys are doing back in the states. I know it's only been a week, but I miss you all very much. Praying for good health and fast recovery for those that need it!
Pao.

And, one final picture from some place down the street. It could be an open market, it could be the red light district. It's open for interpretation. Only because I wasn't listening to the tour guide.
PS. I do read the comments and thanks to anyone that leaves me comments. I do appreciate hearing feedback about how you guys are doing back in the states. I know it's only been a week, but I miss you all very much. Praying for good health and fast recovery for those that need it!
Pao.
3 comments:
hola como estas,we miss you, i see that you are having fun over there...be careful..we love you..big hugs from Maria/llani/juana..see you....
I hope you don't get the Korean strain of illness over there. Your immune system sucks as it is. I'm back in Texas now. Thank God. There's only so long you can hang around a bunch of rednecks before you realize with horror that you're humming a country song and want to kill yourself. Can't wait to read your next blog. Throw a picture of you in there, too. I miss your face. Love you, Pao!
I hope you've been sneaking out during orientation. I'd be disappointed if my brother didn't have the bal. . .er, adventurous spirit to explore on his own. You
Heh, but seriously, take care out there. Also, any Koreans challenge you to Starcraft yet?
Post a Comment