"Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you."
- Walt Whitman -
- Walt Whitman -
I've been told that my face has put on some weight and that my midsection has developed a bit of a pooch. "Dongsaeng, you are carrying twins!" my Korean friend exclaimed as he grabbed a good bit of flab. My principal has also taken notice of the weight distribution. "You have been eating very well," he told me during lunch as he inspected my head with his glasses on the tip of his nose, "Your chin...there is two." Koreans are a bit more blunt than that, I find. I've heard stories from other foreigners of Koreans telling them they are "fat", "very very fat", or "soft". I'm thinking of adopting that last one.
I decided to eat healthy for a day just to see if I can do it. I also decided to compare/contrast a typical junk food day versus my healthy day to see which type of diet was cheaper. I used this past Monday as the experimental crap-fest. I began that day with three slices of bread with a chocolate/white chocolate spread. I washed that down with a cup of Sunkist Mango Juice. Lunch is usually eaten in the school cafeteria where a good meal would consist of a bowl of soup (usually fish based), with a side of bean rice, chicken curry, some fried omelet, kimchi, boiled vegetables, and Imodium. (By the way, my lunch costs around two dollars a day. Same as a hooker.) Next is dinner. Dinner usually varies from eating at home or eating out with foreign and Korean friends at neat restaurants in Seomyeon or Haeundae Beach. For the sake of this research, I went with the fried chicken meal that comprised of six different dipping sauce, twelve pieces of juicy, fried, boneless chicken, and a side of broiled rice. This potential heart attack came to a total of 16,500 Korean won (about $13.00 American).
The next day was reserved for eating healthy. For breakfast, I had two mandarin oranges and a bread roll. I finished that with a milkshake that gave me the squirts, which I find is effective when weight loss is desired. Lunch involved bibimbap, which involved a lot of vegetables and a sunny-side up egg. Dinner was a simple quesadilla and a Capri-Sun. The total was about 8,000 Korean won (about six American dollars.)
Though, the latter was cheaper and much healthier, I went to bed feeling as if the world was a little off. Something just wasn't right. Then, I went to McDonalds and had a Big Mac and the universe realigned itself and life was in complete feng shui.




These three mountainous / lake pictures come from my nature hike which was badly scheduled as the weather had reached its peak of mugginess.






We went to this fountain light show in Hadan and joined about a thousand Koreans in running through this spectacle of a water show. It was a really fun way to cool off, and Hyung got soaked the most out of all of us. I felt bad, though, as I had ran into an elderly Korean woman when I was running through the water. I said to her "Shileh hamnida" which is excuse me in Korean. She grabbed my arms and had the biggest smile on her face: "NO PROBLEM!" Then, she ran off running into a crowd of happy Koreans.
I decided to eat healthy for a day just to see if I can do it. I also decided to compare/contrast a typical junk food day versus my healthy day to see which type of diet was cheaper. I used this past Monday as the experimental crap-fest. I began that day with three slices of bread with a chocolate/white chocolate spread. I washed that down with a cup of Sunkist Mango Juice. Lunch is usually eaten in the school cafeteria where a good meal would consist of a bowl of soup (usually fish based), with a side of bean rice, chicken curry, some fried omelet, kimchi, boiled vegetables, and Imodium. (By the way, my lunch costs around two dollars a day. Same as a hooker.) Next is dinner. Dinner usually varies from eating at home or eating out with foreign and Korean friends at neat restaurants in Seomyeon or Haeundae Beach. For the sake of this research, I went with the fried chicken meal that comprised of six different dipping sauce, twelve pieces of juicy, fried, boneless chicken, and a side of broiled rice. This potential heart attack came to a total of 16,500 Korean won (about $13.00 American).
The next day was reserved for eating healthy. For breakfast, I had two mandarin oranges and a bread roll. I finished that with a milkshake that gave me the squirts, which I find is effective when weight loss is desired. Lunch involved bibimbap, which involved a lot of vegetables and a sunny-side up egg. Dinner was a simple quesadilla and a Capri-Sun. The total was about 8,000 Korean won (about six American dollars.)
Though, the latter was cheaper and much healthier, I went to bed feeling as if the world was a little off. Something just wasn't right. Then, I went to McDonalds and had a Big Mac and the universe realigned itself and life was in complete feng shui.
We went to this fountain light show in Hadan and joined about a thousand Koreans in running through this spectacle of a water show. It was a really fun way to cool off, and Hyung got soaked the most out of all of us. I felt bad, though, as I had ran into an elderly Korean woman when I was running through the water. I said to her "Shileh hamnida" which is excuse me in Korean. She grabbed my arms and had the biggest smile on her face: "NO PROBLEM!" Then, she ran off running into a crowd of happy Koreans.
4 comments:
LOL! You are a walking heart attack my friend. I should use you as an example for my patients..."Eat like this, and you'll be soft....like him!"Lovely pictures today. And what a cute little Korean lady. Heehee.
long time no skype
Well it looks like your metabolism is going down finally. Had it slowed down a few years ago you'd be a walking fat lard by now. You are what you eat!Miss you! I miss our little Asian afternoons at USF! We need a reunion when everyone comes back to Florida.
Mandy, I've sent you about two messages on Facebook. Get on it, woman.
I'm def. visiting Fl sometime in Feb, but I think it'll only be for a week or so. :) How's Gainesville?
Post a Comment