Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Beach-ee



"It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child."
- Pablo Picasso -

I've managed to accomplish one of three objectives today. My main objective was to get a haircut as it has been months since I've seen a barber. The before and after shot above showcases my transformation from mullet-bearing-second-amendment-hating-hippie to a special-Olympics-gold-medalist. It couldn't come at a better time for today was the hottest day of the year thus far. Some of my poor students climb up that ridiculous hill every morning and they always come in looking like they ran through a water sprinkler. Anyway, the other two objectives I had planned were to clean my apartment and to wash my clothes. Right now is literally my only free time before I venture off on my vacation to Japan.

I find it interesting that I've lived near the water all of my life. Born on an island, immigrated to a peninsula, and then moved to another far away peninsula. I'm so glad to be living in Busan, because in scorching hot days like today I'm glad to be just a subway ride away from the Sea of Japan (or the East Sea as the Koreans would call it). The beach (or "beach-ee" as the Koreans would say) is a complete blessing. You get yourself a nice barbecue set up, cheap drinks, and a nice fireworks display and you've got yourself a pretty sweet R & R.

I went to the Busan Sea Festival and had a good time. It's a pretty wild event where thousands of Koreans flock to celebrate life being near the sea. Vast amounts of sea food, fine drink selections, and great company provided for a fine evening, There were so many people there that some had to climb trees to get a decent seat as you'll see in my pictures below. I actually enjoy going to the beach at night more so than the day actually. It's very relaxing. Except when I run into my students. "Why aren't you at home sleeping?" asked I. One student replied, "Girls! Bikinis! Sexy Time!"

Sometimes I think my students forget I'm their teacher...


Friends from the Czech Rep., Scotland, Germany, Canada, and of course Korea. Europeans get treated like rockstars here. The German girl was telling us how a creepy Asian man kept taking random pictures of her. I apologized immediately. Serenaded by a partially drunken Korean man who sang us "Bai la bamba", which actually sounded more like "Bah rah bah bah!" with his thick Korean accent.


My last summer class is tomorrow and I'm really psyched. I'm going to lounge on the beach immediately after class is over. No more lesson plans, no more dictations, no more nervous twitches when my students ask "Finish-ee?". I did two whole lessons on pronunciations specifically targeting words where Koreans add "uh" or "eeh" at the end. "Teacher, my favorite-uh food-uh is-uh ice-cream-uh."

See you guys after I get back! :)

EDIT: I just want to say that my sister is a life saver. I walked into my office this morning and found a big box from America. :) CORNED BEEEEEEEF AHOY!!!!!! Thanks, Ri!


5 comments:

SherBear said...

AAGH! Jealous!!! It looks like so much fun! By the way, your haircut looks...well...kinda the same. Ha ha. Just a cheesier smile in the new picture. :-) Enjoy your vacation. Can't wait to see more!

LA said...

Pao which one is the before & which one is after? lol
so you're going back to Japan. You do know there are other countries you can visit. LIKE THE PHILIPPINES. Enjoy your vacation.

The pictures look great. Isn't Max a beer brand?

Pao said...

Sherry - thanks, but you went ziplining. I think you got me beat.

Larry - I'm thinking North Korea for my next adventure...are you in?

Marcus said...

Very true about the finishee. I visited Korea a long time ago and my expirience was pretty much the same. But, that's why you're there. Keep up the Konglish fight! Hahaha.

Great pics.

Do you have facebook?

Pao said...

Dude, you're alive. Yeah I have FB, but I disabled my name search. Is your profile picture the one with the blue Porsche? I thought that was you, but wasn't sure. How's your travel coming along??? If you ever stop by the ROK again, let me know!