Sunday, April 24, 2011

Pao VS The Subway Stand Still

"Anybody ever wonder when they would see the sun go? Just remember when you come up the show goes on."
The Show Goes On by Lupe Fiasco

Suicides are so perplexing. This morning's suicide was no different. I was pacing about in the subway station with only a handful of people waiting for the silver mechanism to chug its way through the dark tunnels. It was a bright Spring Sunday morning afterall, and most of Korea hadn't been sedated yet from the previous night's engagements, if you will. The subway station was practically empty.

I looked up on the clock and noticed the darn subway was five minutes late. The elderly Koreans waiting beside me were also getting anxious. I texted my friend who I was supposed to meet to go hiking.

Sorry. Subway late. I'll also be late.

Seconds after I had sent it, the PA system went abuzz.

Ladies and gentlemen, we apologize for the delay, but we're experiencing some difficulties on the track. We'll update you soon.

The group of elderly people grunted and whined. My phone then vibrated. My friend had texted me back.

Someone committed suicide on the tracks! We'll all be late! It's okay!

How unfortunate. The cleaning of the remnants, the emotional scars that will haunt the witnesses, the disclosing to the family, and the inconvenience for us with a schedule to keep. I couldn't help but agree with the collective grunts and complaints from the small group of people still waiting for the subway. It was, however, unusual how there didn't seem to be a hint of sympathy from the people around me.

Korea, afterall, has the second highest suicide rate in the world according to the World Health Organization. Several high profile celebrities have committed suicide with the past two years alone, including a former president. The pressures of life here is extraordinary. And not just for Koreans, either. After a month of moving into Busan, I had heard about an American English teacher who had hung himself in his apartment. Last month, a Canadian English teacher had laid down on the subway track and ended his life in that fashion.

I was 18 when I saw man shoot himself in front of me. It didn't completely bother me. It's so strange to admit that, but it really didn't. I think perhaps that my life had so much positive influence (family, friends, and keeping busy with school and work), that I didn't have time to let it affect me. It's saddening that some people have none of those factors in their lives, and thus some choose the easy way out.

Spring is finally here. It's a good day to breathe.





After the hike, we went back into the city and ate some delicious ginseng chicken soup. Amazing in taste and price!

I'm so happy that Spring is officially here. The weather was really great when I woke up and it made the hike even more rewarding. The hiking, I argued to myself, is going to get rid of this abnormal belly that I've acquired while in Korea. You're gross, I often tell it, much to the discomfort of passersby.

I hope all is well! Until next post!

2 comments:

SherBear said...

How sad. As the saying goes, Suicide is the permanent solution to a temporary problem. I'm glad spring is there! I'm sure it's gorgeous. I'm loving the pictures. I love hiking. It makes me happy. Luckily there's a lot of great places to go around here. I miss you, buddy. It gets suckier and suckier the longer you're away from me. Love ya!

Adam said...

Bro wow. I'm surprised you didn't turn out more messed up than you are now hahaha