Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Fantastic Mr. Pao


"Never stand begging for what you have the power to earn."

- Miguel de Cervantes -

DVD Bangs are a staple to the Korean nightlife. Bang in Korean means room, so as the name indicates, DVD Bang means a room to watch movies on DVD. Sometimes they have video game consoles so that you can play Wii games with your friends. It's a relatively cheap way to kill time on a slow weeknight. On a particularly cold and windy night, I suggested to some friends that we go to a DVD Bang to get away from the unforgiving Korean winter.

"You guys want to go to a DVD Bang?" I asked.

"Why? Do you want to have sex with me?" asked one of my Korean friends.

Wide-eyed, I just looked at her and paused for a second. First, that was probably one of the most non-sequitur answers I've ever heard. Two, Korean girls are typically too reserved to say things like that. Three, don't mind if I do.

In actuality, DVD Bangs are a huge part of the youth culture for Koreans. For many of the young people here, living with your parents during your 20's and 30's is a common situation. You can imagine the obstacles of dating someone and having to avoid the judgmental eyes of your parents. As a result, many young couples rent motels (love motels, as they call it) or DVD Bangs to do the nasty.

Of course, I'm a foreigner and didn't know all of this. My friends all had a good laugh on behalf of my ignorance, but the joke's on them. I saw their parents coming out from one. Bow chicka wow wow!


The dead of winter has given form to some Tim Burton-esque trees.
Me, Yo, and Chloe.
The beauty that is pho, a Vietnamese beef noodle dish. It's really good to have on a cold day or any day you're still alive, really.

I still can't believe how much time has flown. It's winter now and this month's mission is pretty much to not die from the cold. I'm headed to Seoul and Daegu in a weeks time, and by the end of the month I'll be flying to the Philippines. Meaning, I'll be going from Siberian-like temperatures to tropical island paradise. My scrotum is going to be so confused. I'm also winding down with my classes. In a few weeks I'll be saying good bye to my boys. I already had to say good bye to some of the Junior boys. There was a collective "aww" when I told them I wasn't returning next year. One of my more affluent kids told me "Teacher, Merry Christmas and I will miss you". I told him I didn't have any more candy and to get out of my sight.

'Til next blog.

2 comments:

SherBear said...

LOL! You're so freaking funny. "My scrotum is going to be so confused." HAHA! So where you headed next year, my friend? What country will you be terrorizing...er, visiting next? I can't wait to find out. I live precariously through you so you'd better do it. It keeps me sane. Dance, puppet, dance!

Pao said...

Thanks, Sher. I still don't know where I'll be headed. There are some good leads, though, but again there's a huge chance I'll be sticking to Korea.