Sunday, February 26, 2012

How Do I Get Home From Here?

"Ain't nobody leavin', ain't nobody goin' home, even if they turn the lights out the show is goin' on..."
The Show Goes On by Lupe Fiasco

Looking back on my very first post on this blog, I kind of chuckle at how nervous and anxious I was about the unknown that was Korea. Two years ago I started this blog on my bed not knowing what was ahead of me and wondering if this big move was really the right one to make. Two years later I sit here over looking Haeundae Beach embracing every minute I have left of this wonderful country. I've made many mistakes along the way, but regrets have been very few.

Two years worth of getting lost in mountains and forests with friends and thinking that we'd have to resort to cannibilism to survive.

Two years worth of saying "Hanguk saram aniyo" (I'm not Korean) to restaurant waitresses thinking I was going to translate the menu for my foreign friends.

Two years worth of getting in front of a classroom and proving to my Korean students that white hair can be developed within a 24-hour period.

Two years worth of knowing what it feels like to feel liberated from reality.

And, now, I must say good bye to my home for the past two years. This whole week has been just a blizzard of good bye parties, exploring the last crevices of Busan, and eating A LOT of barbecue. I'm so glad that I got to do this.

And, to my friends, family, and random strangers who have followed me on this two year journey, thanks for reading! I'll keep this blog alive, because I know I've got some more traveling to do. In the meantime, 안녕히계세요 (good bye) Korea. You'll always be my second home.

3 comments:

SherBear said...

I'm glad you had a blast. You lived my dream. Wish I could live overseas. I'm not of the age anymore. Haha. Oh, well. If I have to travel to a different country every year, I guess I'll have to. Sucks! I'm glad you're back stateside with me. Get a freaking cellphone already. I miss your voice. Love ya!

Tyler said...

That's great, Pao! When you get the chance to visit Gainesville let me know. I read this blog like it was me seeing the world. Do you think you'll travel anytime soon? I want to go with you.

I hope you can come up soon.
God bless.

Parker said...

I haven't been on here in forever and you don't seem to be using it anymore.
Your stay in Korea looked amazing. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Because it's been so long, how are you?