"And so, lying underneath those stormy skies she'd say "Oh, I know the sun must set to rise."
Paradise, by Coldplay
Paradise, by Coldplay
While we've all finished celebrating "regular" New Years, Korea has yet to welcome Seollal, which is Korea's celebration to ring in Korean New Years. It falls on January 23rd this year and Koreans, of course, value it far more than the binge drinking excuse we define as New Years. Unlike Western New Years, Koreans exsect the dancing to Sir-Mix-Alot's Baby Got Back and they don't typically wake up the next morning wondering why there's a comatose hooker lying next to them. The Korean rituals of Seollal is far more customary and much more orchestrated.
Young Koreans perform a celebratory bow towards their elders and wish them 새해 복 많이 받으세요. The loose translation of this is Happy New Years or Please add me to your will, I'm not quite sure. Next, they eat lots of wonderful Korean food like 떡국 which is a Korean soup distinct to its piquant taste. The eating of this soup, per tradition, will symbolize your aging of another year. I guess I won't be having seconds. After all the ceremonial events have taken place, the Korean family will proceed to play traditional games, like 널뛰기 (where they jump on seesaws), 제기차기 (a kicking game), and Battleship (where drunken Uncle yells at everyone for cheating and demands more soju).
Happy New Years to everyone. I hope this is a good year for you.
Young Koreans perform a celebratory bow towards their elders and wish them 새해 복 많이 받으세요. The loose translation of this is Happy New Years or Please add me to your will, I'm not quite sure. Next, they eat lots of wonderful Korean food like 떡국 which is a Korean soup distinct to its piquant taste. The eating of this soup, per tradition, will symbolize your aging of another year. I guess I won't be having seconds. After all the ceremonial events have taken place, the Korean family will proceed to play traditional games, like 널뛰기 (where they jump on seesaws), 제기차기 (a kicking game), and Battleship (where drunken Uncle yells at everyone for cheating and demands more soju).
Happy New Years to everyone. I hope this is a good year for you.
My camera was set on high flash it seems.
Filipino's representing in The ROK. He married a Korean girl, which is unique because it's usually vice versa.
Gwangan Beach
Chloe and her Korean eyes that go ^^. LOL.
They called it the "2012 Tree"...but, I call it the "We were too lazy to take it down after Christmas so we just renamed it for our convenience Tree".
Even toilets need some lovin'.
Gwangan Bridge
We all tried to stay awake for the rising of the New Year's sun, but most of us just couldn't...myself included.

The setting of the old year.
Big year ahead. Go hard or go home, right?
3 comments:
I know you got chubbier over there, but that tiny girl can carry you! You need more McDonalds in you PAO! No offense to Koreans but seolal does not sound f un at all! Haha. Have a good new years Pao! Make it up to Gainesville when you fly back!
LOL! Looks like you had a blast. I'm glad you're enjoying yourself. Love the pics. They're all gorgeous as usual. In one of them, your cheekbones look amazing. Haha! Miss ya, dork.
Thanks, Mandy. I hope to see you up there! And she didn't hold me for long...she dropped me soon after that picture.
Sherry, have a nice year! Hope you and Jill stay out of trouble up there!
Post a Comment