Friday, November 11, 2011

Pao VS Pepero Day

"Ah, c'est si bon! So, I say it to you like the French people do, because it's oh so good."
C'est Si Bon by Dean Martin

Ah, Valentine's Day. Wait. What? It's November. Oh, confuse you not, mon amie, it's Valentine's Day in Korea. November 11 (11/11) is what they call "Pepero Day" in South Korea to celebrate the semblance of the number eleven to the popular chocolate snack stick Pepero. To capitalize on this inane likeness, it is said that some company somewhere here in Korea made it a commercial tradition to give your loved ones boxes of Pepero snacks every November 11. It's quite popular with Korea's dating crowd, so hence the genesis of Korea's modern day Valentine's ritual. I also find that there's a significant amount of hoopla among Korea's children to show appreciation to their friends, but especially to their teachers.

One of my 3rd grade students came into the classroom and handed me a box of Pepero. I didn't even know she came in, because she's so small and very quiet. All I saw was the top of her curly hair behind my desk and her tiny hands holding a box of Pepero.

"Teachy?" she asked quietly, getting my attention.

"Oh, Mindy, what's this?" I asked. Side note: they all have English names, like Honey, Angel, and Barack Obama.

She looked like she was about to cry. I bombarded her with too much English in a short amount of time. I needed to pull out my Korean.

"Oh, haksaeng, igoh mwohyehyo?" Oh, student, what is this?

Her little eyes smiled. She rapidly threw out Korean phrases in my direction, to which I comprehended nothing except when she said Pepero. She looked at me as if there was some feedback or any noise necessary to acknowledge whatever she just said. "Oh, I'm so happy! Thank you!" I exclaimed like a crazy person. And, with a pat on her head, she went skipping back into the abyss that is the hallway.

Notice the three circles on the top box. That's how my name looks like in Korean. The first circle says PA, the second is OL, the third LO. She spelled happy right!
I still have a lot of Pepero left. I'll be eating Pepero for breakfast for at least a week.
7 PM and the moon is out.
Had dinner in a new Korean fusion restaurant. They served some of the best chicken teriyaki I've had in a long time.
A peaceful protest here in Busan about the recent US/Korea Federal Trade Agreement. A lot of arguments about the States getting a better deal, and words being hurled around like America is "a monopolistic capitalist" nation (hollar!), and "OJ did it". I feel that a referendum is needed in this situation, because there's a potential that they could cancel school for a day. Yay me!

Happy Pepero Day!

7 comments:

Amanda Stillman said...

That is so cute! I wish I had Korean students to shower me with chocolate! Love the pictures Pao!

Pao said...

Haha Mandy, you are fast. I just posted this...

Anonymous said...

Your students sound nice.

Adam

Nike said...

Pretty cool tradition. so is pepero like pocky sticks from japan or does it taste different? i buy pocky from the chinese place near my house but i should try looking for pepero next time. do they have it in the us yet? looks yummy.

Pao said...

I'm not sure if they have Pepero in the US but if you've eaten Pocky, then you've eaten Pepero.

SherBear said...

I love Pocky sticks! Yummy. Glad someone loves you a lot, teachy! Miss you tons. If it becomes too much for you, send some Pepero my way. I'm all about celebrating Valentine's Day in November.

Pao said...

You got it, Sherry!