Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Pao VS Summer Camp


"No more pencils, no more books, no more teachers' dirty looks."
School's Out by Alice Cooper

Summer Camp has pretty much taken up most of my time these past three weeks, thus creating this indolent fleshy substance that used to be my brain. Now, it's just sloshing inside my skull. As much fun as we're having in summer camp, I've come to value my me-time in between classes, but these kids keep coming up to me asking me random questions.

"Teacher, what's your favorite food?"
"Teacher, did you swim to Korea?"
"Teacher, how tall are you?"
"Teacher, why do you have white hair?"
"Teacher, are you going to kill me, because your eyes are blood-shot and you're holding a shovel."

I'm making a lot of effort to make sure the kids are having fun, and all the kids have told me it's the best summer camp, yet. I was quite happy to hear it, but knowing that we have two days of camp left has made me even happier. The kids are definitely going to remember this summer camp. We made schmores (for breakfast, which was a bad teacher decision on my part), had an egg race, slept in a spooky part of the school, made the kids go into dark hallways in the middle of the night and scare them, and we cooked a lot! I wanted to do a whole lesson where the students did my laundry, but administration threw words around like "child labor law" and "unethical".


Korea prides itself in being #1 in archery. My homemade target, however, prevented my students from proving anything. Not in my classroom. Not while I'm king. Bwahahaha.


I made up a lot of really eccentric activities / games that I didn't think they'd like, but they really enjoyed them. I knew my warped mind would be put to good use.

They also got to cook traditional Korean dishes. I also learned that when I ask "Is it spicy?" and the answer is "No, not really", it roughly translates to "You're going to be peeing out of your butt for 2 days".

Even our beloved kyojungsunsengnim (principal) braved the students' cooking.
Teaching the kids how to cook...AKA The blind leading the blind.

Scary movie time.

Followed by Paolo's favorite time: Sleep time.

I can't complain about the time I've spent with the kids, because in all honesty they are all incredibly galvanizing and undeniably smart. In short, they are pretty awesome and I got pretty lucky to have a cool bunch of students. However, in two weeks time it's Paolo's time to have fun. Woohoo.

Until next time....from Korea....bye!

2 comments:

C. Kang said...

You're like camp counselor Pao! Haha That's funny! Why are their clothes so strange?

Nike said...

Hi Pao. I got in touch with a recruiter today, but not the same one you e-mailed me. They're actually taking a long time to answer my inquiries, so I think it's best I ask you about it. Can I add you on Facebook? I think it will be more convenient that way.