Friday, October 29, 2010

Resident Knievel


"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

It was probably the strangest subway ride I've ever taken. This doesn't say much as I've only started using the subway a few months ago, but still it doesn't take away from the strangeness of what happened. I had rushed down the colossal beast of a mountain that my school sits on down to the subway station. I was in a bit of a hurry to meet a friend for dinner and I had to fight the throngs of hurried Koreans through the five o'clock rush. The subway carts were packed with weary business men, so I had to quickly jump into the one less occupied. I stared blankly out the subway window as the cart started moving. I realized then that everyone in the cart was wearing sunglasses. They were also holding long metal sticks in their hands. It was such a bizarre scene. Had these people escaped from the Matrix and is now in a quest to find a new Chosen One? Or did I perhaps jump into a space vortex and landed right into their world? Whatever the case, nobody was talking and the silence made it the more eerie. And then I coughed. Their heads turned towards me. Seriously.

I'm going to need Laurence Fishburn in few minutes, prayed I. But, alas, the sensible part of my brain piped in and I then realized they were all blind. Not alien warriors from a different dimension as previously hypothesized.

But, that wasn't the end of it. I decided to change subway carts as I felt a bit uncomfortable being in a packed cart with people who can't see me, but can probably smell my fear. I imagined hands grabbing at me and them communicating via telepathy: "This one's ripe" I pictured them saying.

When I finally reached my stop, I walked out to a somewhat chaotic platform with sirens blaring and confused Koreans looking about. None of them seemed too alarmed, but the foreboding sound of the siren was enough to keep me alert. I noticed a group of them gathered around a TV near the elevators. There were pictures being flashed of South Korean soldiers at the infamous border between the two Korea's. I looked around and saw a fellow foreigner. "Do you know what's going on?" I asked him. He scratched his head.

"I think North Korea just attacked South -- wait, you speak English?" he said.

In fact, the foreigner was right. North Korea did attack South Korea yesterday per CNN. However, the event was deemed insignificant and life moves on. Such is the life here in this mysterious peninsula.

Why the siren? I was told that it had accidentally gone off when they were doing a maintenance check. A much simpler solution to a more apocalyptic story that developed in my head. Still, you can't blame a guy for being prepared for an end of the world scenario. I watched 2012. I took notes from John Cusack.


My trip to Seoul went productively as planned and I was able to get some information about doing a Master's Program in Seoul National University, one of the most competitive universities in this part of the world. While I wasn't impressed with the programs they had to offer, I was thoroughly impressed with how short the girls' skirts were. Were they going to class or a strip club? Imagine all the stuff these girls can get away with by wearing sexy skirts. "I'm sorry, Professor, I forgot the paper was due today...but, I'm totally not wearing panties." Deadline extended. Among other things.


While in Seoul, I stayed with my friend Ninja who took me to the famous Gyeongbok Palace, perhaps the most famous one in Korea. A short distance from here is the home of Korea's President Lee Myung Bak. The weather was very cool and made it perfect to stroll about this historic palace. Stinky elementary school children made the tour a bit unbearable, though.



I went to Seoul Olympic Stadium with fellow Pinoy Jepoi later that night to watch some K-Pop concert with a million rabid teenagers. You'd think it was Christ's second coming by the way they were screaming.


I've seriously been considering transferring to Seoul after my contract is up here in Pusan. While I really enjoy living near the beach and the atmosphere about everything here, I'm itching for a chance of scenery. And, to be honest, I kind of don't want to move back to the U.S. just yet.

I stayed with Ninja for the weekend and learned a lot from him. He reads the Bible every morning, is very laid back, and eats healthy. I want to get to that point in my life where I do start doing that on a regular basis. The first thing I read in the morning are my e-mails and Facebook messages, I'm always in a rush, and I eat KFC religiously. I'm a walking heart attack.

The lack of blog posts lately have been thanks to in part by school festivals and various events. However, things are looking smooth in my schedule, so I should be able to blog a little bit more. I have had plenty of blog fodder to post on here, but I've been too preoccupied to do anything. Expect more updates soon!

9 comments:

SherBear said...

So...his name is Ninja? Awesome. So jealous that you'll get a chance to go to school in South Korea. It is so pretty there! Live the life, Pao, live the LIFE! I'm stuck here in suburbia in the blasted US. Kill me, KILL ME NOW!

LA said...

Woah. These are some nice shots. I heard it's pretty cold there too. Good luck with all the planning and moving.

LA

Pao said...

@ sher: Yeah, that's his nickname. lol. And, sometimes I miss the suburbian life. So, you should make plans to visit! ;)

@ larry: It's freaking freezing right now.

Amanda Stillman said...

I think it's great you're planning things now. It sounds like pretty exciting to study abroad. Fabulous pictures, btw.

Jepoi said...

Wow! Lumabas ang picture ko! (My picture appeared!) lol.

Kumusta na dude? I won't be homeless this Winter by the way, but I'd still visit Busan... see you there!

Pao said...

Does this mean you passed?? Yeah, come on down. I'll be gone from Dec. 27 - Jan 5th, though.

Jepoi said...

Where will you be those days? It does not mean I pass. It means the school changed their minds... if I fail the class, I don't lose anything, except 9 credits. ^^ You know, Koreans often change their minds! Good thing, it was on my favor... lol...

Parker said...

I've been skimming through your posts while heading back to the last post I ever saw from you, and I've been holding myself back from writing a comment on every single one, but I have to write on this one because you have a picture from the concert. I want to ask if you know who was performing at the moment during that picture because I can't figure it out exactly. I want to say that's 2AM, but I can't be sure. Anyway, that's amazing, everything about your time in Korea is amazing really.

And your description about the fans screaming their heads off is incredibly amusing because I know exactly what you're talking about.

Pao said...

I'm not sure who those are in the pictures, but I know Bi(Rain), 2AM, and some newer acts were performing, so it probably is 2am. You should comment more often! You're insightful and I love comments! :)