"A man's got to do what a man's got to do."
- John Wayne -
I was headed upstairs to my classroom when I spotted a student standing at the end of the stairs. His eyes widened when he saw me. He sprinted upstairs shouting "Sun seng nim! Sun seng nim!" which means teacher in Korean. From above I heard shuffling and muffled whispers from the students. I knew what was going on, so I just smirked and continued up the stairs. The student that spotted me was the look out. The Paul Revere, if you will, shouting the foretelling arrival of a redcoat that is the teacher. As I made my way up on the fifth floor a group of students in front of the bathroom shuffled into a neat row and greeted me: "Hello, teacher!" "Hi, Paolo" "Anyeonghaseyo, sun seng nim!"
The theme song from Matlock played in my head.
If it wasn't the stupid guilt I saw on their faces that gave away their crime, surely it was the telltale smell of cigarette smoke that wafted in the hallway. "You guys, I'm not stupid," I said trying hard not to laugh. It's against school policy for students to bring cigarettes on campus much less smoke them. Yet, they try to sneak in a few puffs in the bathrooms while the teachers are at lunch. When the cats away, the mice will smoke a bogey, I guess is the saying. Getting caught is punishable by suspension or expulsion.
"Flush it down the toilet and go back to class," I demanded. Three nervous students bolted out of my sight for reasons unknown. The rest of the students went into the bathroom and proceeded to make sweet symphony with the crappers as they dumped the remaining cigarettes. One student poked his head out the bathroom and asked "Teacher, me no trouble?" I could have easily scolded them and reported them to the Vice Principal, but I didn't. I don't smoke, so it's not like I sympathized with smokers. I think being a teacher has shown me the importance of patience and forgiveness. I remember I made a lot of mistakes when I first started my very first job right after high school, and I think what stood out about learning from my mistakes was the value of virtue shown by my boss. Moments when I thought I'd get fired on the spot, I'd find myself getting a second chance. "That's how you learn," I was told.
It's part of growing up, I figure.
"Thank you, teacher," one of them said to me.
"Eh, shut up," I said. In my head.
Patience. It's one of those things you don't learn in a classroom.
Onward to pictures. These pictures are from Jagalchi Market, THE biggest fish market in South Korea. Jongkeun and I moseyed around to sample food, gawk at the live octopus, and bargain the hell out of these little shops.
The theme song from Matlock played in my head.
If it wasn't the stupid guilt I saw on their faces that gave away their crime, surely it was the telltale smell of cigarette smoke that wafted in the hallway. "You guys, I'm not stupid," I said trying hard not to laugh. It's against school policy for students to bring cigarettes on campus much less smoke them. Yet, they try to sneak in a few puffs in the bathrooms while the teachers are at lunch. When the cats away, the mice will smoke a bogey, I guess is the saying. Getting caught is punishable by suspension or expulsion.
"Flush it down the toilet and go back to class," I demanded. Three nervous students bolted out of my sight for reasons unknown. The rest of the students went into the bathroom and proceeded to make sweet symphony with the crappers as they dumped the remaining cigarettes. One student poked his head out the bathroom and asked "Teacher, me no trouble?" I could have easily scolded them and reported them to the Vice Principal, but I didn't. I don't smoke, so it's not like I sympathized with smokers. I think being a teacher has shown me the importance of patience and forgiveness. I remember I made a lot of mistakes when I first started my very first job right after high school, and I think what stood out about learning from my mistakes was the value of virtue shown by my boss. Moments when I thought I'd get fired on the spot, I'd find myself getting a second chance. "That's how you learn," I was told.
It's part of growing up, I figure.
"Thank you, teacher," one of them said to me.
"Eh, shut up," I said. In my head.
Patience. It's one of those things you don't learn in a classroom.
Onward to pictures. These pictures are from Jagalchi Market, THE biggest fish market in South Korea. Jongkeun and I moseyed around to sample food, gawk at the live octopus, and bargain the hell out of these little shops.
I've been thinking about what I'm going to be doing after my gig in Korea is up. I actually haven't decided yet if I'll be staying with my job here, but my school seems to be making that decision for me. They're making me another English classroom and this time it's totally pimped to the max. The principal has also said that if I wanted a better apartment then he'd provide me with the goods. This is all assuming that I'm renewing my contract. Which I don't even know for sure.
My options thus far are definitely focused on going back to school. Graduate school has been looming in the back of my mind. Like a tumor, if you please. I also would like to put a foot in the State Department door. If I could get a clerical job in (at this point) ANY U.S. Embassy then I'd take it. But, I hear you'd have to kick a lot of kittens to get to that point.
Anyway, I have to iron my clothes. I don't want to walk around looking like I'm wearing Governor Jan Brewer's face.
Until next blog.
My options thus far are definitely focused on going back to school. Graduate school has been looming in the back of my mind. Like a tumor, if you please. I also would like to put a foot in the State Department door. If I could get a clerical job in (at this point) ANY U.S. Embassy then I'd take it. But, I hear you'd have to kick a lot of kittens to get to that point.
Anyway, I have to iron my clothes. I don't want to walk around looking like I'm wearing Governor Jan Brewer's face.
Until next blog.
8 comments:
Hehehe. You should make them all smoke the entire pack at once.
LOL! Too funny. I know how spicy food does some work on your stomach. And dairy. "EVERYBODY STAND BY! PAOLO IS EATING ICE CREAM!" *puts on HazMat suit* You're such a good teacher. I would've been a lot meaner. But then again, when it comes to punishing children, there are no boundaries with me. Miss you! You'll do awesome in graduate school. I'm proud of you.
I almost gave up on your blog. I see you update your facebook daily, but it takes you weeks to update your blog. Priorities, brother!!
Anyway make sure you confiscate those cigarettes, dude. And then sell it back to them after school.
Hi! I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog.
I'm from California and also took the journey to teach English in South Korea. I'm currently working in Seoul at a hagwon. It has it's ups and downs. I find it interesting that you ended up in Busan. I also applied through EPIK and Busan was my first choice actually but then I was offered my current job sooner and was tempted by the higher salary and Korean friends who insisted I have my first experience of Korea to be in Seoul. In hindsight I wish I went with EPIK even though I was told that I'd be placed somewhere in the Gyeongsang region. I'm sad too that now I'm no longer able to apply through EPIK anymore.
Nevertheless, Seoul does have a lot of amazing events and sights to see and experience.
By the way, are you a Fil-Am? I am and I liked how you mentioned eating some Filipino food. :)
Hi Shana,
How come you can't apply for EPIK?
Since I rejected their offer I was told that I can no longer apply through them anymore. :(
Are you still thinking about staying or leaving after your contract ends? I'm thinking I may apply again after coming home for a bit but I'd like to be hired in a public school. But who knows how I'll feel when I return home.
Since I rejected their offer I was told that I can no longer apply through them anymore. :(
Are you still thinking about staying or leaving after your contract ends? I'm thinking I may apply again after coming home for a bit but I'd like to be hired in a public school. But who knows how I'll feel when I return home.
Hey Shana,
That does suck. BUT, I guess the advantage of getting paid better is a plus, eh? Haha.
I'm 50 - 50 about staying. I'm still not sure. If you're ever down in Busan, lemme know! Do you have facebook?
Post a Comment