"The task of a modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts."
- C.S. Lewis -
- C.S. Lewis -
My principal is someone I can describe as the Godfather of our high school. He's somewhat stalwart in appearance and quick to command attention. He walks with a certain pride as if giving credence to his power. Without uttering a word, his presence alone demands anyone in his path to halt and bow. And it isn't just a bow one would use casually, but rather a deep bow to show homage to a much higher authority. He is, after all, "the Don". His office is five times bigger than my apartment, his car is much shinier than any other teachers, and his voice even more commanding than the opera teacher's.
So, imagine what went through my head when he told me he loved me.
And it was accompanied with one of those looks like if I didn't say I loved him back, he'd snap his fingers and flying ninjas would start flying down from trees and start attacking me with swords and bows and arrows.
The other teachers have commented about how much the Principal likes me. They say I'm lucky and I should feel blessed. And I do, don't get me wrong. He invites me to drink soju with him on random nights, pays for extravagant dinners (read: $200 Korean barbecue dinners), and personally makes sure my health is good by sending staff to check on me if I'm sick. When I tell other foreign teachers this, they are flabbergasted. They ask what I did to win my principal over, since many of them have really bad relationships with their own principals. There is no answer to this, as I've not done anything special in my five months in Korea. I've been myself. I don't take myself too seriously.
I feel blessed that my time here has brought fruition to some of the best experiences in my life. While the other foreign teachers bitch about not getting along with the school staff or just wanting to leave Korea, I feel happy and very satisfied. I think their complaints are legitimate, but on the other hand it's just a matter of culture clashing. I find that if you accept the culture rather than fight it, the positive aspects of Korean hospitality will present itself. I also learned that if you let God take control of the things that you cannot, faith has a way of alleviating the anxiety.
Korea's great. Dynamic, even. The people are good people.
If you ever want to know what soju looks like, I found a dancing soju bottle in the streets as pictured above. If you ever want to know what soju tastes like, just mix whiskey, some lemon juice, and battery acid together and oui la.
So, imagine what went through my head when he told me he loved me.
And it was accompanied with one of those looks like if I didn't say I loved him back, he'd snap his fingers and flying ninjas would start flying down from trees and start attacking me with swords and bows and arrows.
The other teachers have commented about how much the Principal likes me. They say I'm lucky and I should feel blessed. And I do, don't get me wrong. He invites me to drink soju with him on random nights, pays for extravagant dinners (read: $200 Korean barbecue dinners), and personally makes sure my health is good by sending staff to check on me if I'm sick. When I tell other foreign teachers this, they are flabbergasted. They ask what I did to win my principal over, since many of them have really bad relationships with their own principals. There is no answer to this, as I've not done anything special in my five months in Korea. I've been myself. I don't take myself too seriously.
I feel blessed that my time here has brought fruition to some of the best experiences in my life. While the other foreign teachers bitch about not getting along with the school staff or just wanting to leave Korea, I feel happy and very satisfied. I think their complaints are legitimate, but on the other hand it's just a matter of culture clashing. I find that if you accept the culture rather than fight it, the positive aspects of Korean hospitality will present itself. I also learned that if you let God take control of the things that you cannot, faith has a way of alleviating the anxiety.
Korea's great. Dynamic, even. The people are good people.
If you ever want to know what soju looks like, I found a dancing soju bottle in the streets as pictured above. If you ever want to know what soju tastes like, just mix whiskey, some lemon juice, and battery acid together and oui la.
5 comments:
Dude, I am so happy you're having a blast over there and you're in favor of the great Kahuna. Not surprising. You're Paolo! Heehee. Ha! Filipino food. There's one here, but I don't need that if I got my mommy. I can't believe they didn't have gravy at KFC! WTF?!?!?! That's like....oh, man....I can't even comprehend how wrong that is. That's like Zephyrhills without rednecks and old people...
Calamansi juice! YUM. I haven't had that in ages. I've been seeing commercials for it recently and it looks sooooooooo good. That sucks that many of the other foreign teachers aren't having as great an experience as you are. And Karaoke. A Filipino's best friend. As well as a Korean and a Japanese person. My parents like to sing every weekend and during parties. We even rented one in the Philippines when we were there last summer. I've never heard of KFC with no gravy. Crazy crazy.
@ Sherraine: Go on Skype. Night time for me and morning for you.
@ Parker: When are you finally going to Japan?
You're nuts! You and your food addiction. I'm still wondering how you're not morbidly obese. And that Korean baby is so adorable! Bring it home!!!
Miss ya!
If I walk ten feet i lose seven pounds.
Post a Comment