Sunday, April 25, 2010

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Ajumma


"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
- Sign hanging from Albert Einstein's office in Princeton -


The ajumma is a formidable creature found mainly in South Korea. They are small in stature, but stellar in character. They mostly travel in packs if not with their young, and often accomplish many great feats as a group. Their bone density is prime above their foreign counterparts, thus allowing them to push through crowded sidewalks with ease. They also posses sturdy legs that permits them to trek among the wooded mountains with little resistance. They are, in essence, Korea's backbone.

They're one of my favorite things about Korea. Ajumma's, Korea's grandmothers that are frequently bustling through thick crowds of hanguks in the streets of Busan, are an often talked about topic among foreigners here in the ROK, and for very good reasons. For one, I have every reason to believe that they've mastered the art of poking people in the back, causing people to fear oncoming ajummas. And secondly, their cooking is phenomenal. Fresh Korean food from the streets made by a smiling, chubby ajumma is a feeling above ecstasy.


I got into a taxi the other day and, lo and behold, the driver was an ajumma! Female taxi drivers are a little rare over here, so imagine my surprise when in the driver side was a tiny little Korean woman smiling at me. She pointed at her taxi license displayed on the dashboard: "I'm pretty!" And, after months of using the cabs here in Korea, she certainly was the prettiest taxi driver I've encountered. "Dongeui University, please," I asked her. She nodded her head and the next thing I know the car was jetting through Busan traffic like the DeLorean DMC-12 from Back To The Future. The experience was frightening, yet enlightening at the same time.

The second best thing in Korea besides the cute little ajumma's are the Wii-Bangs. These are little rooms in downtown Busan where you and your friends can rent to play Wii games, watch movies, eat popcorn, nacho, ice cream, and dress up Cos-Play style.

Alex, Elliott, and I went this past weekend and allowed ourselves to get childish.

We also conglomorated into a bigger group to celebrate Elliot's birthday at the Fuzzy Navel.


Power to the people, yes. I'm still trying to figure out how to make my outside night shots look better, but my attempts have been futile. Kuya Dean, maybe you can help me. No more night shots until I figure it out. Also, if you're wondering what that hand on a stick is, I bought it at a park and will use to discipline my students. It will either become a great disciplinary tool or instant comic relief. I'll let you know next week.

3 comments:

SherBear said...

Dude, totally beat the crap out of those kids. I'll stand by with a bowl of popcorn and laugh and point. I could've used that in the movie theater the other day. The two kids sitting next to me, I swear, slurped their stupid little slurpees throughout the WHOLE movie. I seriously wanted to just reach up and knock the drinks out of their hands. When can we meet on Skype, Trouble? Pick a time and, er, well, time. Love ya!

Nicole said...

Those old ladies are adorable! BRING ONE HOME

Pao said...

@ Sherraine - the glove at the end of the stick is really soft, so beating the crap out of them is a no go. And, please don't be a teacher in the near future.

@ Nicole - I can certainly bring you an ajumma when I come home. They'll fit nicely in the guinea pig cages you have vacant.